It's odd I haven't been here before. Growing up in the Northeast, Niagara Falls feels like one of those places that I should have been to on a Girl Scout trip or a school trip or a weekend getaway. I imagined it like the Poconos or Atlantic City; kitschy, depressed, more tourist trap than destination. That's not to say that Niagara is nothing like that. Walking down the newly revived Queen St. in downtown Niagara this evening looking for a spot to eat yielded more "closed" & "for lease" signs than actual establishments. And the Mr. Sub (a clear rip-off of Subway) that I finally settled into for a tasty veggie 6" had at least 20 kids outside doing bike tricks on the handrail and steps.
Still that's all part of the personality of Niagara. It is part depression era town, part slick amusement park/tourist trap & part natural wonder; all co-existing in perfect harmony. Obviously, the falls take center stage...as they should. I was expecting to be underwhelmed. I thought I would see an ok waterfall surrounded by tacky souvenir shops and hundreds of places to buy a Jumbo Hot Dog. And yes, all that is there in droves but the falls...wow. It is awesome. As in the true definition. As in awe inspiring. I felt expansive, soaring. It was majestic. I found I was literally singing the Star Spangled Banner to myself in my head. Even though I was in Canada! I could have passed a whole day just watching the waters rush over the falls from every possible vantage point and the light bounce off the water and the mist at every possible time of day. But there was no need. There's loads to do.
The Canadian side of the falls has very extensive public park space that is impeccably maintained. I rented a bike and made my way north, away from the epicenter of the falls and found NATURE! Bike trails and hiking trails and a natural whirlpool and a botanic garden and wineries and lots more. A place that I thought I could completely exhaust in 48 hours has become a wonderland of hidden treasures. Even the gaudy amusement park feel of Clifton Hill with its flashy neon signs touting Ruby Tuesday! & Starbucks! coupled with the constant noise and movement of the animatronic mascots of Ripley's Believe it or Not and Louis Tussaud's Waxworks (the lesser known of the Tussauds) only serve to add to the appeal of this special place. This is a place best explained in pictures so here are a few teasers of my time so far. Tomorrow I visit another personality of this border town - spiritual center. Apparently, there is a Buddhist Temple about a 3 minute walk from here. Who knew...
The Canadian side of the falls has very extensive public park space that is impeccably maintained. I rented a bike and made my way north, away from the epicenter of the falls and found NATURE! Bike trails and hiking trails and a natural whirlpool and a botanic garden and wineries and lots more. A place that I thought I could completely exhaust in 48 hours has become a wonderland of hidden treasures. Even the gaudy amusement park feel of Clifton Hill with its flashy neon signs touting Ruby Tuesday! & Starbucks! coupled with the constant noise and movement of the animatronic mascots of Ripley's Believe it or Not and Louis Tussaud's Waxworks (the lesser known of the Tussauds) only serve to add to the appeal of this special place. This is a place best explained in pictures so here are a few teasers of my time so far. Tomorrow I visit another personality of this border town - spiritual center. Apparently, there is a Buddhist Temple about a 3 minute walk from here. Who knew...
Below..the many faces of Niagara Falls...
No comments:
Post a Comment