What book did you read in 2011 that was most inspirational? Why?
Oh, this is embarrassing....I'm not even sure I read a book in 2011! But I do not blame myself; I blame Amazon. I bought a kindle a couple of years ago thinking it would transform my life. I have ALWAYS been an avid reader and back in Manhattan, The New York Public Library was my best friend. That; coupled with the fact that some part of my day was always spent commuting on the subway, made me a voracious reader. So, here on the island with 1 small library (or so I hear...I've never found it) and 1 expensive bookstore; I decided the Kindle would be my savior. I bought myself a Kindle; downloaded a bunch of books and...have yet to finish one of them. There is something about the feel of a book...being able to flip back and forth. I don't know what it is but I just can't snuggle up with a kindle. Since I haven't read anything truly inspirational this year, I'll just list some of my all time favorite inspirational books. Maybe you've read something inspirational this year and want to share it with me? Maybe it's time to pick up the kindle and try again....
The Giving Tree- Shell Silverstein It's a classic and ever changing for me. Loved it when I was a kid. Then as I got older, I found it depressing and sad actually. And now, I think it is a truly beautiful story of selflessness; complete and total doing for another.
The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollen So well written. Not preachy. But this book will change your perspective on food forever...whether or not it changes your eating habits...
The Power of Now-Eckhart Tolle This book truly changed my life. I have read many other spiritual/self help books on the same subject; "Living in the Moment", but Tolle's story and simple language really spoke to me and still does. I quote this book ALL the time.
Same kind of different as me- Ron Hall/Denver Moore This is one of those random finds I picked up at the library simply because I loved the title and the look of the cover. The storytelling concept is interesting and although it was a little preachy, I stuck with it and found myself tearing up at the end.
I'm sure there are many more but these are what popped up off the top of my head.

No comments:
Post a Comment