A little background on Sukha from the blog "Buddha Ways": -If we want to have a closer look at the concept of Sukha (happiness) then it might be useful to look at the original meaning of the word. It consists of two syllables: sû = good, well being, and khâ = hole of the axle.(1) In a functioning hole of the axle the hub of a chariot moves smoothly and the horses can pull the chariot with high speed and without hindrances. Therefore the word sûkhâ originally means unhindred flow and not only happiness as it is mostly translated nowadays.
I love that concept, "unhindered flow". There is something about the concept of happiness that feels unrealistic and unattainable. Life has an ebb & flow, ups & downs, misery and sweetness. You can't always be happy but you can always try to move through life with unhindered flow. That ease can make the space for happiness to appear more frequently. Thankfully, 2011 was filled with as many sweet moments as sour. The sweet moments always seemed simple and quiet, perhaps that is why they were overshadowed by the pain and anguish of the sour ones. But there was a time in 2011 when my focus was on the sweet. A friend of mine wanted to start a gratitude journal but instead of a journal she asked if I would like to start emailing her, everyday, 3 things I was grateful for that day. And she would email me in return. Why not? I thought at the very least, I would be more connected to my friend; like when you receive a random chain letter where you have to list your favorite book; favorite cocktail, one place you want to see before you die. No matter how well you know the person who sends it; there is always one answer that surprises you and makes you look at the sender in a different way. And so we started and as all things, by the end of the month, it fizzled. Probably my fault. But it was such a sweet time. Because I knew I had to find 3 three things I was grateful for; I approached even the worst of days with a positive attitude. And isn't that really how life remains sweet? By finding the good, the positive in the midst of your most cranky, bothersome days? Here is a the song "sweetness" by Jimmy eat world. Surely has nothing to do with the above post but I heart this song and it makes me happy!
No comments:
Post a Comment