So I came across this initiative on one of the yoga blogs I read and I thought it was a really great idea...REVERB is a way to reflect on the past year and prepare for the year to come. Basically there is a thought or question posed every day that you sit down and write about be it 1 sentence; 1 paragraph or more. Usually I look at things like this and say to myself, "Hey, that's a really cool idea. I should do that!" and that's about as far as I get in the process...So this time, I am going to stay motivated by sharing and posting my day's journaling for all to see. If you wanna join in...please the more the merrier! Just click on the link above for the deets.
DAY 1- Encapsulate the year 2011 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2012 for you?
Shift...that's the first word that came to mind for me. I immediately wanted to change it but I have found that your first instinct is usually spot on so upon reflection I thought, "Ya, that fits." This past year my life has shifted in small and not so small ways; there has been a shift in a good number of deeply held beliefs I've carried with me. The beginning of 2011 saw a shift in my career (sort-of). I took on a lot more responsibility and started dipping my toes into management; something I never thought I would want to do. After all, I got into massage in order to get away from sitting behind a desk, computers, meetings and all that B.S. I also shifted from being a passenger to being a driver and for those who have known me for quite some time...that may be the biggest shift of all. I shifted my idea of relationship and commitment when someone came into my life who challenged me and cared for me and infuriated me and excited me and confused me. I lost my home and my dog in one week which was of course another truly seismic shift.
This year I turned myself upside down; literally and figuratively. There was definitely a great shift that took place when I learned to do a headstand this summer while doing yoga in Mexico. It had been a physical and emotional block for me for quite some time. Growing up with weight issues and becoming an adult acutely aware of my shape and size in relation to everyone and everything around me; the concept of standing on my head was both tantalizing and terrifying but always realistically unattainable. Sirsana (headstand pose) is considered one of the most important poses in yoga as it opens Sahasrara, your crown Chakra. This is the highest chakra and when you are able to truly connect your energy to it you will experience Samadhi and ultimately enlightment; union with the universe and all that is. Whether you believe the yoga of it all or not; the fact of the matter is that for me it was a truly life changing shift that took place in those first few wobbly seconds of being upside down. A shift happened. I had accomplished the impossible. The chunky weak girl with limitations was replaced by a strong agile floating yoga fairy. And while I haven't perfected handstand or much less any other yoga pose; my life on and off the mat is no longer filled with limitations. The fear and uncertainty may still be there but I know if I close my eyes and visualize, I can push through it just like I did with my headstand!
As for my wish for next year's word. Connect/Connection comes to mind. I have started saying "yes" to more things in an effort to connect. I'm noticing that instead of truly being in the moment and experiencing things it feels like I'm just going through the motions or trying to find a means to an end. So I want 2012 to be a year of connecting or reconnecting to people, places and things that are meaningful to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment